Other findings include:
- Preparing and justifying budgets remains their most important job.
- Integrating budget and performance data is critical for program success but underlying difficulties make this problematic.
- Budgeteers know how to cut their budgets, but agency bureaucracies seem to have trouble executing the cuts.
- They need better budget technology to support large amounts of data.
- Analytics, crisp writing, and working cooperatively under pressure are key attributes needed by new budgeteers.
- In spite of problems and frustrations, job satisfaction is very good.